Missing Windows 10 StarField screensaver [SOLVED]
The good old, serene, StarField screensaver is missing from Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7.
If you don't remember this retro screensaver by its name, "StarField simulation", is was a type of flying through space screensaver that old Windows had preinstalled by Microsoft.
How can I bring that space screen saver back to Windows 10 / Win7?
- A. If you have access to a trusted Windows XP or even Windows 2000 computer:
- Copy SSSTARS.SCR from the SYSTEM32 directory on a Windows XP machine to a flash drive.
- Connect the flash drive to a the new operating system (Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10)
- Copy SSSTARS.SCR file to the SYSTEM32 directory.
- If you have a 64bit operating system, insted of the SYSTEM32 folder, copy it into the SysWOW64 folder (usually: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\)
- You will be able then to select and configure the StarField screensaver from diplay properties of the control panel.
- B. If you don't have access to a trusted Windows XP computer, you can use an alternative screensaver
- The StarMessage screensaver is a nice replacement/alternative to the StarField screensaver. You can download the free version for Windows (Windows7, Windows 8, Windows 10) and Mac OSX.
- C. If you don't have access to a trusted Windows XP computer, but you are tempted to search for the StarField screensaver at the internet
Now that you know the StarField simulation screensaver filename (SSSTARS.SCR) it is tempting to search the internet and download a copy of it, and avoid of powering on a trusted old Windows XP computer. E.g. a user might offer the screensaver file from his dropbox/onedrive/g-drive account.
Do not take/trust such files from the internet or an online community as they may well contain viruses.
If you still want to use the screensaver from an non-trusted source, scan it for viruses before installing it on your windows, and even before opening it.
Go to the free antivirus service at www.virustotal.com and upload the screensaver file that you want to scan.